Thursday, October 29, 2009

Let's get it started...

Unless you've been living under a rock, you should know that our country is in financial ruins of sorts. Yeah, I know that's dramatic, but on some days, if you watch enough cable news, it feels that way.

News is exactly the topic I want to discuss. The financial hardships of our time are now affecting our country's newspapers; major papers are closing daily, and even my beloved New York times is losing money. It seems no one cares enough about the news to actually read it, or at least read it in paper form.

My question to you is simple: how much do you care about the news? (I'm hoping I don't get any apathy here; as honors students, you SHOULD be reading the news, every day.) Where do you get your news? Why do you think we're all going to be around to witness the death of print news?

89 comments:

  1. News is IMPORTANT.

    .. So I've heard. I personally never, NEVER get it from television, (unless my Grandma's over in which case she's asleep in five minutes anyway) though I read it in the newspaper whenever I find it in my vicinity. About 70% of my news comes straight from the front page of Yahoo, which may lose me some news reading credit seeing as how at least one of the four "featured" news articles are about something like rubber band balls, snoring, minty flavored lollipops, or things in that general category. But, within my limited news reading world, news is pretty important to me. Odds are I'll see something when I'm going to search the internet that is at least interesting enough to make me click it. After that, who knows where links will lead? I get at least one socially relevent article through my skull every day, which is at least enough to keep me up to date with current events. (If I have any real questions about news or what's going on, I can just ask my dad, who knows EVERYTHING EVER) What I really do feel bad for is the supposed death of print news, which is something that seems to me like a very real and, sadly, highly probable event within maybe just a few years at the outside. It's always been nice to know there was still a newspaper around, even if I didn't actually read it, and it was always there just in case maybe the entire Internet spontaneously combusted, or something like that. With everyone checking news on TV, the Internet, and their cell phones (and if I have to buy a cell phone to check the news on the go it's NOT WORTH IT) it seems soon our good tree-based pulpy friend could be left out to dry as people consider them to be less and less convenient. They're not just there for giggles, either, newspapers are a legitimate source of news when you need news now. Even newspapers have to make a profit, you know, and when that stops happening who knows if we'll ever get them back again, and then you'll never be able to have the opportunity to walk around with a paper titled The New York Times under your arm, and that, my friends, will make the world a little bit more gloomy.

    Besides, I still read the comics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last year in 8th grade, i got up and read the comics to start, and would later read the news. This year, i read the news less often if at all but i usually catch glimpses searching for health articles. My news generally comes from the paper but unfortunately with the hand held internet people figure that they can just look the news up. They even post the news cast on the internet. I prefer the paper because i can read something in the paper and than watch it on tv and say,"hey! I already new that!" The only problem is everybody on the go. U can read the paper in one hand while driving (BAD idea by the way) without worrying about the paper falling apart, which is how most people think today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a matter of fact I do encounter news on a daily basis but it is definitely not from a newspaper or magazine. News is a very important factor in my daily life. Every morning I wake up and check nytimes.com for my daily dose of first economical, then what ever interests me. Reading the news in the morning is quite an advantage for me in my opinion. It brings up interesting conversation starters. It also can help if you ever want to chat with James Townley :)(AHA)With websites such as nytimes.com and television channels like cnn and abc who really wants to take the time to read the paper? For this question I totally agree with Scuyler. Any printed news in extremely inconvenient for people living in today. Everyone now has either a smart phone or a computer that has easy access to news from all over the world. Quickly newspapers and magazines such as New York Times will no longer be what people want. Why go buy a newspaper when you can get news with just a click of a mouse?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knowing what’s going on in the world around us is incredibly important and it’s something that I do care a lot about. Personally, I get most of my news from television, Fox News in particular. That’s all my dad watches and it rubbed off on me, so if you turn on my TV, chances are you’ll probably see Glenn Beck or Bill O’Reilly. =] The paper doesn’t get delivered to my house and the only time I read newspapers is when I’m looking for a health article. We will witness the death of print news because technology is so advanced that people don’t have to go out and get the Sunday paper, they can just turn on their television or get online for the news.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I'm very well aware of the news around me, I make sure I always have a general idea of what's going on in the world around me. What I don't do is fall apart at every little sad thing I here about on the news, which is pretty much half the news these days. As far as sources for news, I never saw the big deal with newspapers anyway. Most papers are written on a rather low level, they're nowhere near as instant or responsive as other forms of media, and honestly, it's rather bad for our environment to use all that paper.I get my news mostly from a local news station, just so when anything earth-shaking happens, I know about it. Sometimes, though, I decide to pay some serious attention to the rest of the world and I tune into the BBC news via PBS. The BBC is the only reliable source for international news available to American audiences I have ever found. Because the BBC doesn't air nearly as many, if any at all, commercials as United States television does, they're not corporate pawns. In addition, it struck me quite some time ago that American news hardly ever touches on things that don't involve, well, America; it's like they don't even care. Basically, I feel newspapers are really rather silly, Americans news is pretty stinky, and the BBC rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I care about the news... enough. Any sports news is interesting to me, considering my love for sports. Although that would be my main interest in the world of news i often do watch the 6 o'clock news on CBS. Not because i can't get it anywhere else though. My internet homepage is comcast.net and i search through they're news articles often just because boom they're there and convenient. I do care about the news though because if u don't know current events, it makes you look very unintelligent compared to the people who are aware of the world around them, so I try to keep up. I think the decline of the news paper has already started and eventually might shut down altogether in the near future. News papers are inconvenient. The news isn't up to date considering the news paper USUALLY has yesterday's news because that's when it was written, and it's inconvenient to read. The papers are big, noisy, big, hard to read because of where you have to be when reading it, and big. People now-a-days don't have time to sit down and read a newspaper because of how busy all our lives have become. And when there is spare time, most Americans don't choose to spend it by reading the newspaper. People want news instantly, up to the minute info, and convenient; like on a phone or computer. Maybe getting rid of the newspaper could be a good thing? Americans spending less money there may help the recession? Who knows until it happens?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't be quite as harsh on American news, James, but I know what you mean. The BBC does indeed rock.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I personally do not go straight to the newspaper in the morning. But that doesn't mean I don't like it. In fact I find it quite beneficial for recounting all about how the Phillies are beating the supposed "best" team in baseball, and reliving every beautifully sculpted play they dominated in. Plus, a mother with a crossword puzzle at lunch equals a happy mother with makes a happy me; a me that doesn't hear her complain incessantly about poor paper people. Through this all though I cannot help but wonder why someone would need a paper when it only wastes paper and it is right on TV and much easier to access... Also if you really REALLY wanna know what's happening it's right there. You know on that big black rectangle in the middle of your living room. For free. And it comes in bright pretty colors and sound effects. Soooooo... why wait around for the paper to come when you have a remote/phone/mousepad right next to you?
    And no getting the paper will not provide exercise as this is just another reason we have dogs.
    Besides remotes don't give you paper cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do care about the news as long as it is intriguing enough. I'll turn on the Eyewitness News in the morning, mainly to get the day's weather and as I am waiting for the meteorologist to announce the day's forecast, if something that is even remotely interesting comes up, then I'll listen in but that's my only ounce of news for the day. Unless, of course someone I know is on the front page of the Sports section as he has been many times before, then I'll skim through the newspaper. Otherwise, my daily dose of news isn't from the newspaper. Maybe it's because I'm not too in to leisure reading, but hey, I'm lazy, so that could just be me. Others are completely unlike me and much rather prefer to read in order to attain their information. With that in mind, I really don't think that good, old-fashioned, black-and-white newspapers are going anywhere anytime soon. Well, not until we invent holographic newspapers that just appear at our front doors. (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be honest, I could care less about the news, but when you go on the internet and a news site pops up, the titles for the stories are so convincing that I just have to read them, and they turn out to be so interesting. If I didn't have access to the internet, or if aol's homepage didn't pop up when i went on, I wouldn't have a clue about what was going on in the world. I never search for news topics, or the latest crisis in our government. I use the internet for facebook or myspace, but I wish I did look at the news more often because it's always good to know about stuff that's going on. I like to know about the news, but so much of it is depressing that I don't even want to know about it. Lately, all you ever hear about is how our economy is crashing or someone died of this or that. I do read the news, but I could care less. The only people I ever really see reading printed newspapers are older people because most of them don't waste their time on the internet or even bothering to sign on to the computer. Most of them probably don't even know how! On the other hand, the younger people are so wrapped up in their new cell phones with internet and their high tec laptops where they can get the news fast and easy with the click of a mouse. We don't waste our time reading off a black and white peice of paper, we'd rather just search it on the internet. Sooner or later, they probably will stop publishing a newspaper because the internet is where mostly everyone gets their daily news. The internet is the center of most of the things we do and most of us get our knowledge from it, but I think that in the next couple of years, the internet will take over the newspaper companies.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I usually don't read the news anymore.... like the Stephen King article we read said it's all full of gloom, war, and dumb things like the Kanye West/ Taylor Swift thing from the VMA's. Either the press doesn't cover the important things or they cover it too much and it gets blown out of proportion, like Swine Flu/ H1N1 (which is technically a different flu from around the 70's also called Swine Flu). If I actually do read/watch the news/press I usually get it from The Press of Atlantic City or the television news station on Channel 6 in the morning before school, which its rare that I turn that on. I think that we are going to see the end of the printed news because some newspapers are now just starting, but they don't have printing presses, no, they have computer keyboards or laptops that they can write and also have videos, good pictures, and live interviews on the sites. Some printed newspapers are now allowing online subscribers to have subscriptions online and they don't get the newspaper delivered, they access it through their phone, laptop, or regular computer. This generation is called The Generation of Technology, and it's taking everything, even news and books, with it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do care about the news however, I do not personally read it from newspapers. If I must know about the world and what is going on, I would rather listen to it on the T.V. or look at it on the internet. I think that since the world is so technology based now, more and more people would rather listen to the news rather than read it. Its a sad fact however, its true. I believe also that people now don't like reading, and they think listening to what is happenning around the world and actually seeing it is better and easier than reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that news is extremely important. It's a fast and easy way to get information on all sorts topics and events. I am probably one of the elite. I've been reading print news since about third grade. Yeah, it's so important to me that I read it at least three to four different times everyday. It comes in different forms such as print, visual, and audio, so there isn't many reasons for people to not regularly check up on the new. You'll never know when something that pertains to you is on the news if you never read, watch, or listen to it! In order to be suscessful, you(we) need to be aware of the world around you(us). I do regularly read newspapers even though they aren't the best quality. After all, they aren't written the best, and thay are a HUGE waste of paper, ink, and money. I normally get my news from eaither 6abc.com on my phone, or try at least once a day to watch BBC world news. In my oppinion it's the only reliable news station for, well world news. Also, I listen to news radio at night before I go to bed. Sorry I'm a bit of a news FREAK!!! Print news, at least in my view, isn't going anywhere. It's fast, easy, and chep. And by cheap, I mean you don't have to pay a monthly bill for cable, internet, or a cell phone. As long as people buy them, which they do, it's not going anywhere. Even if it is terribly written and cheaply made...

    ReplyDelete
  16. News is very vital to me, as it keeps me up to date on what is happening around the world. On the other hand I find that today's news is not taken very seriously anymore because of all the unnecessary nonsense being transmitted over the television. For this reason, I acquire my daily dose of news from the newspaper and internet. Of course the internet is filled with mindless articles concerning celebrities and the like, the internet gives you the capability to access what you want read about. The newspaper is where I browse for local information and is not usually cluttered with unimportant articles like television is in this confusing world. It is hard to swallow but I have to digest that it is apparent that printed news will likely become obsolete,however this is just not due to the economy, Obama to the rescue! But in all seriousness, the fact that electronics run most people's lives is frightening and as we are consumed daily by our ipods, iphones, computers, and tricked out cellphones newspapers are now looked upon as fossils that we may occasionally glance at every once and a while.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like most people, I'm more interested in interesting news. The economy, and the sport news really hold no interest for me whatsoever. I like the news on the girl with eight limbs, and the woman allergic to water. News is everywhere, we get news from just about every place we go to, so of course it's important! From my parents having the news on the television in the morning, I will listen, as there is nothing else to listen to except the sound of me brushing my teeth. From that I get pieces of everyday news. The weather, and the latest on Swine Flu, as well as the football playing prom queen. Now of course, these aren't all the most exciting things to listen to, but it does help one stay connected to the outside world. Though, the internet provides me with most of my sources of news. AOL news, always has the most interesting things to read, as well as my Comcast home page. This news is everything from the economy, to the weather, to multi-limbed children. I enjoy that news because I can chose what I want to read about, and what I really don't care for, I don't have to look at. Unfortunatly, the internet news has taken over, especially with our generation. Print news, news that's been around since...forever, is slowly losing it's luster. Of course, it's just as good as any other form of obtaining the news, but is it as efficent? Almost everyone spends some time on the internet, at least once a day. At those common times one can turn to the news to figure out the lastest scoop on life. Also, flicking on the televison set, Bob Kelly can use his witty charm to make you listen to even the lamest of forecasts. Who honestly has the time to sit down and read the paper anymore? It's become a hassle. Now, don't get me wrong, I would hate to see it go. Comics never get old, as well as that classic feel of reading the paper, and seeing the pictures posted in it, but with life in the way, 'good 'ol coffee and paper time' just doesn't fit into the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ..and genny!! that's funny that you said that about AOL newss, that'ss where most of mine comes from too!! (:

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sports news does it for me. I turn on ESPN and then I'm done with it. I could care less about the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh and print news is on its way out because I can get the same news quicker and for free. Technology is going to eventually make writing/print completley gone.

    But back on the main topic, I only have so much time in the morning and sports takes priority over everything else. I'd rather see highlights from The Yankees-Phillies WS and College Football than watch some thing sbout Obama passing laws. Its just not me.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I care about news, but not all of it interests me. I mean the news that either interests me or that applies to me matters, in my opinion. The other news might be knowlegable or horrific but I might not care about it personaly. All news matters; not all of it applies to me. I get my news updates from varied sources whether it be the internet, where i read only the most scandelious and vivid stories, to the morning news, where I learn about the wheather, traffic, and small interesting stories. But from television to the internet, i always manage to hear about how my favorite sports teams are doing.
    With the growth of the internet more people find themselves in a coffee shop or airport finding what the weather will be like when they land or how their stockes are doing. Less and less people want to take the time to pick up a paper and read it. I personally enjoy the ease of the internet or television, and from the looks of the other posts so do most tech savy kids. Eventually the printed news will die out and the computer and television will take over the daily report.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, that is a valid point Mrs. Rock, news is a big deal right now and everyone is getting it from different places..minus the original paper. How weird right? We started off living on that daily news, pleading for those stacks of paper, and now after reading all of these blogs you see that people are seeing all of their news events from technological sources. I must admit, i see my news from the giant television. I almost protest to not watch it when I'm trying to enjoy my nice warm supper; however, Father wins the battle and i end up watching it and getting totally and completely engrossed. Television is a way that i actually enjoy and absorb the news because it's interesting. The change of the voices by the reporters are always intriguing to me because it catches your attention. The deep and moaning tell you that they are talking about the economy. Sad and slow and very melancholy tells you that a death has taken place or war hasn't been going in our direction. I know that this could be considered rambling, but it is just contributing to my point. News is becoming a addicting and it's not on paper anymore. It's on the large colorful sound protruding screen. This is a technology based world, and were just people stuck in it. So the only way this technology is going to go is onward and we are going to flow with it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. To be honest I don't keep up with the news at all unless it involves celebrities or health issues. Sometimes I might glance at a newspaper and get hooked on an article, but yeah...it doesn't happen that often. Usually I get most of my news updates from going on my homepage on my computer. Different articles always pop up, like drama about the big "John and Kate Plus 8 Divorce" or something about Swine Flu. I believe that I should get more into the news because it is all important, but, you know, we all have busy schedules. It's always good to get a daily dose of learning about something that is happening in the world at the moment. Since the world is so technological now, the news paper is probably going to die out and we will be left with the internet(which I dont really mind).

    ReplyDelete
  25. In fact, I care about news deeply. Knowledge of what's happening on the outside world is of course, important. I personally, do not grab a paper to read on the way out to school, but I do once in a while, switch the news on TV and get informed. It's not that I'm looking for entertainment, but I intend to learn, as all news affects us in some way. So to sum it up, I do care about the news, but it's difficult for me to pay attention to every single news article. I don't get newspapers where I live, so I rely on TV to provide me my news, and sometimes conversing with my school mates also gives me some of the hot current news. :D Hmm, this is a tough question. I think we will at one time witness the death of news print because I think that no one has the *effort* to actually pick up a written print and read it. People now-a-days tend to recieve there news casually, doing actions in which news may come to them without much effort. To sum it up, we are lazy. As for me, I was in the process of watching TV, and I just check the news once in a while, I did not intend on watching the news, it just comes to me. Also, I get it while talking to friends. So a news topic may suddenly come up, on which is a good conversation topic. In conclusion, this is my opinion on news.

    Raul iBanez. <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. It seems that this worlds press machines are being thrown away due to this new era in which we obtain any information with the stroke of a few keys. No doubt we will lose all type of printed press within the next two decades because it is too much of an inconvenience for people to pay for something when they can get the same infromation if they log into yahoo! or AOL. Honestly I could care less if the presses stopped going because when it comes down to facts it won't make a large impact on me. The reason why is because i get all my info from my dad's random pieces of news and from my home screen on my AIM account. If I hear about something that catches my interest the first thing that comes out of my mouth is not, "Let me look it up in the Atlantic City Press!" no i'd think to myself to make a mental note of it and to google it later. Furthermore, news actually is the way i learn what is new and i do glimpse at the paper (excluding my random cravings to read the horoscopes or the funnies) but even if i do have the weekend ceremony of the latest Ziggy panel some news related subject will be involved in most things i do.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Caring about the news is one story, but knowing what's going on is another. (Ha ha get it "news" "story" sorry I'm weird) Honestly I don't think I would say that I really care about the news, but I do know somewhat of what's going on around me. My daily routine in the morning, though is to get up, take a shower, turn on my computer, check the weather on yahoo and yes, the news. The topics on yahoo are one of those things like horoscopes. You might not obsessively believe in them, but its there, so you look. I also have to bring in a health article every Friday, so that forces me to look through dozens of articles to find on that I like. All of my news doesn't just come from yahoo, though. Every Saturday and Sunday I read the newspaper. My dad only wanted the newspaper on the weekend so I'm his newspaper girl. So people say they were the remote.......I'm the newspaper girl. Sometimes the newspaper just sits on the table and I stare at it and it bugs me to not know what's in it. I'm a nosey person, but that's just who I am. (That's probably why I'm taking German so I know what my sister and my mom are talking about) (evil laugh) Sorry. Off topic. Truth be told, I love the newspaper a lot more than the internet! I like to have this big, uncomfortable, floppy piece of information in my hands. If I didn't have a newspaper that I could hold in my hands with it's large paper and try to balance while drinking my hot chocolate. I think I would cry. I love old things. I love old dresses. like the big southern pouffy ones, and I love old cars, and hair styles, and telephones, and castles. I could go on and on. Yes, we have history and museums, but can't we keep some old things alive? We're getting into so much new technology and so many new ways of living that we're losing the things that we should cherish most. The memories. For instance, if the old way of paper news dies out how will you be able to remember sitting on your daddy's lap acting interested while trying to help him hold his newspaper, but actually spilling his coffee all over his shirt? Those little things are what we are going to forget! I think the old ways are being forgotten because they were too slow. Like we we're talking about today, our world is fast paced. We need to keep some of the older ways so that we have times in our busy lives to slow down. Like Delilah says, "Just slow down and take the time to love."

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well news is obtained different ways by different people. Many may consider me a news slacker because I obtain it through sources like the Comcast.net homepage. I stumble upon this on my flight to the possible destinations of Facebook, Myspace, and ESPN.com, but the news you get from comcast filters out all of the "fluff" and ruffling paper that the formerly popular newspaper brought. The paper was a hassle, environmental problem, and did not survive the natural selection of the human opinion. The pace of the world also plays a crucial part in this argument. When the world moves like a Ferrari, The paper spreads like a Volkswagen and is not instant gratification as the internet and TV are. This change might not be tomorrow or even in my life time, but all i know is that it is eroding like a rock in nature. The only hope for the paper is a more basic lifestyle change for the world that may be set in place by the rising issues of technology. If problems are consistently shown, humans will jump back to the basics because it is what currently gives them the edge. Therefore, the superiority of the media is only to be lost by a mistake by itself.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I totally agree with everyone who said that they get their news updates from the aol homepage and really only read the articles with the catchy kind of out-there titles. My dad loves watching the news, but I always seem to get so distracted that I can never watch it with him (blame that one on my cell phone). Sure, there's the newspaper, but unless I'm going out to buy it... I'm not getting it. So since it's not really around my house, I'm not a big newspaper reader. The internet on the other hand....... that's a whole different story. I'm ALWAYS on it! Unfortunately not to look up news though. As I said in the beginning aol homepage is my source for the news. Without it, I'm pretty out of the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Most people are usually interested in the interesting news, and that is usually what I look for when im reading or watching the news. Honestly, I never really take the time to read the news because I am usually always busy with sports and school, but I sometimes take time to watch the news at night since my mother is always watching it. News is very important to me though, because it keeps us informed about what is going on around us. For example, when winter comes around we have to watch the news to see if our school is closed or not. We could always call the school, but I believe watching the news is a better way to find out since you can listen to the news while finding out about your school. Also, most of the time I do get all my news from the television because it seems like an easier way to get the news. I also sometimes go onto the computer because when I click on the internet link and comcast pops up they usually have interesting and funny articles or video clips. Also, when you search articles it is a very easy and fast way to find what your looking for. I believe the death of print news is already starting to happen since this economy is not doing so great. People dont have the time or money to waist on buying the paper everyday. Yes, we do get free papers but usually they just contain local news. Also, papers usually have yesterdays news since thats when they wrote it, and when you watch the television they are up to date and have breaking news. But if you dont have a tv or a computer, then the paper is the best way to get your news. Also, printing out a paper every single day uses so many trees. Everyday billions of trees are getting cut down just to supply the papers with paper. Therefore, in my opinion, television and internet is the best ways to get your news and the death of print news is already starting to occur.

    ReplyDelete
  32. To me, news is very important. As Garret stated (or anyone else), I too love watching and/or listening to news about sports players. Every night during dinner, the TV is always on channel six. We sit and listen to ABC news and the whole time, I think about what happened in the world of Philadelphia sports. Before the sports coverage, they talk about the other important things going on in the world. I'm basically guaranteed to learn something just by sitting down and eating dinner.

    In my honest opinion, I don't believe the "death of printed news" will ever occur. Though many people DO have TVs and radios, there is a still a huge part of the world's population that doesn't. Other than that, people buy printed news when they are in a rush, for example, going to a meeting. You can't watch and listen while you are waiting, so you can read instead. Maybe it's not just me, but things stick in my mind better when i actually read about them. I can also reread them anytime i want, as for TV, I'd have to sit and wait for the news program to appear.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I care about the news, and when I say that, I mean it a lot. I can't stand being the clueless one, so I like staying up-to-date with what's happening in the world. If people were talking about something that had made it onto the news, I'd hate to be the one to ask for an explanation. Being the one explaining would definitely be more enjoyable. For as long as I remember, the Atlantic City Press has shown up at my doorstep every day. And for as long as I remember, my my dad has sat down on the armchair in the living room and read it every day. On the other hand, I personally only read the Press once every two weeks or so, since I've always preferred to read news online. On the internet, there is much more variety when choosing an article to read, and the amount of articles you receive isn't limited like on paper. There's billions of news sources out there on the internet, that publish billions of new stories daily. Moreover, televison spurts out information too quickly for me- I need to be able to go back over information, or else I'll never get it right. Meanwhile, the newspaper business is slowly dying. I think the largest factor in this is the expense of buying newspapers. Why would you buy news, when you could get it online for free? Also, sitting down to read the paper has become inconvenient with people with busy life styles. It would be much easier for people to get their news on their laptop or phone while on the go or to leave the TV on and have anchors read the news for them. Also, newspaper companies likely have to pay costs too: getting paper and ink, manufacturing prices, and paying people to deliver papers. Plus, it's wasteful to use up all these trees and ink when you could just publish online. In all honesty, I will be showing little grief when print news finally passes away.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lol, sorry to get off-topic, but the website's time is on PST ;]

    ReplyDelete
  35. Truthfully, I probably don't keep up with the news as much as I should. However, when I do, I find myself looking articles on the internet, or settled in front of the television for the 11 o'clock news. This day and age, whether it be good or bad, is based primarily on technology because of its convenience and fast results. Newspapers are losing popularity at a rapid pace, and at the moment I can't seem to think of a single person that reads one frequently. Although its always sad to watch something slowly die out, whether it be a species or paper news, when things can't keep up with the times, "extinction" is inevitable. This slow decline is obvious when it comes to newspaper, and I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if they were no longer in use during my lifetime. I'm not really sure how I feel about this. For one, newspapers seem to be a symbol of some sort, whether it be the city or old ways of life; the picture everyone seems to think of where a man is sitting on a bench with his nose in a newspaper, although maybe that's just me... But then again newspapers are such an inconvenience when compared to modern technology. I highly doubt they will be around much longer, and I for one will not be a person trying to keep them here.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm not the one to be excited for the newspaper early in the morning and enjoy it with a cup o' joe, like most people do (or apparently used to). I didn't know that the death of print news was occuring. I read or glance through the news paper at least once a day. I get my newspaper from the Atlantic City Press, I beileve. I agree with Britney C in saying they are cutting down millions of trees everyday just to supply newspaper. Does it really make a difference if its on black and white in your hands or on black and white on a screen? I usually never get the news from the TV. Now it's not that i wouldnt want to hear what the excited anchor man has to say about where the war in Iraq is going, its just that alot of times in the TV they give alot of news that doesnt seem realivant to me. I sometimes get the news updates from the computer. I get news reports from the AOL homepage. Infact, just ten minutes ago before I signed up for blogspot, i was reading about how Mircosoft Windows had called off sponoring a well known TV show called 'Family Guy'. I found that the show has caused numerous lawsuits for its foul show content. But lets not get off topic. I beileve that newspapers are good for those old grandpas who dont even know how to turn on a computer. Then again computers give us ppower to have information right at our finger tips. The internet fits in with our fast pace lifestyle now-a-days. I think that sooner or later all news print will be on the internet. Weither we like it or not. I say it seems like a change for the better. -Brooke Vega

    ReplyDelete
  37. To be honest, i don't read or listen to the news very often but when I do I find that i care about it a lot because some of the things that are happening are so awful and you can't help but feel bad about it and then you just want to keep hearing more and more because you get so interested in it (at least I do). I get my news from the paper, internet, radio, and/ or TV. I think we will be around to see the end of print paper because there are now quicker ways to get the same news like on the radio, computer, or TV.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I only care about certain news, and it's not the kind of news about celebrities and who has the best hairstyle. I care about things that actually relate to me and could affect me.
    I usually don't read the news from a newspaper, to be honest. I get all the news I need from the television or internet. Occasionally, I will look at a newspaper, but to me it's just easier listening and watching people talk. It's deffinitely more interesting, too.
    As time progresses, we're seeing less and less of printed news. I think that today, our world is more into technology than reading. People would rather sit on their butts and listen to the television news than to go out and buy it and read it. One of the problems is we're just lazy. I'll have to admit, I like sitting down listening to the news, and I think most of today's society does the same partially because we're lazy and because our world is technology-based.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Do I really care about the news? Well, I certainly care enough about the news to read The Press every single day! That, combined with Eyewitness News (nearly every evening), Comcast.net, and Digg.com is how I keep up with current events. Even so, newspapers have always been a timeless form of giving information to the public, and, frankly, I don't really believe I'll be around long enough to witness its end.
    The reason I care so much about the news is because as a growing child, my mind is a vacuum, starving for information regarding today's world. Reading the news in the traditional fashion at my young age has helped me learn more about topics such as politics (a big one), health care (has become big recently), and the "failing" economy (ironic, isn't it?) the way it was meant to be learned. I care as much about the news as the rest of my family (the family who can't wait to learn more about the daily activities of Barack Obama, Cher Bono's transvestite daughter, and *shudder* John Gosselin). I not only care deeply about what is referred to as "the news;" I feel the news has become a part of me. I absolutely, positively love all forms of the news (although it isn't mutual, and strictly platonic).
    As mentioned earlier, I believe newspapers are timeless. Invented in the 17th century, and still generally going strong despite the alleged recession, newspapers are no more a portal to the news as they are a tribute to it. Since their modern debut, most newspapers have never, ever changed their format, and with good reason. A lot of time, effort, and thought (much more than is put into television news) goes into those pieces of paper, and it's darn well time we started appreciating them more.

    *Phew* Well, is my post longer than Schuyler's? Time to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, Mike P....that's deep. You must be proud.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Also, well put Mike P - but a daily dose of current events never killed anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  42. hmmm, well its kinda hard for me to believe that a lot of you are as engrossed in the news as your letting on. It's true- we should all be aware of whats going on day by day. But like you said, recently, news has not necessarily been "good news", being mostly dreary, dismal subjects. A lot of people just don't want to get themselves feeling down by hearing all these stories about chaos and destruction. So it isn't uncommon for all the optimists, or just regular people in general to shut out the bad and pretend it isn't there.

    Anyways, to actually answer the question....I do care about the news, but i don't want to. I'm usually informed about whats going on because both my parents always have heated discussions about politics (local and global) as well as worldly events. Otherwise, I really don't want to know. Internet articles from AOL news always catch my eye, so i find myself reading them and then looking through all the archives because it is pretty interesting. But the truth i'm going to own up to is that I hate to hear about all these downcast subjects but at the same time i want to be aware and intelligent. So obviously its much better to have knowledge about the world and be able to spread it to others but would i rather be happy and naive? !!!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Whether I realize it or not, news happens to be a major aspect in my life. Every morning, I get my daily dose of Matt O'Donnell (♥) and Tamala Edwards’ voice, along with the occasional weather report from my old friend David Murphy. News is very important in my life, I mean, I would like to know if there was a civil war going on in my front yard before I stepped out the door, or if there was a serial killer going after immigrants from Africa. In addition, though the news does not always cover issues that concern a 14 year old girl, there are some important articles that could affect me in the near future. Personally, I do not get my information from the newspaper. As previously mentioned, 6ABC is the way I acquire the news, but my father also brings up things that occur in the paper, so in a way I am getting news from the newspaper. Furthermore, the internet is probably the biggest way I learn about what is going on in our country as well as the world. Every time I sign into Yahoo! or AOL the homepage includes main news reports. Unfortunately, I am well aware that the death of news print is right around the corner. Honestly, I can say when that time comes I will be kind of sad as well as apprehensive. When newspaper’s go out of style (they are already well on that path), everyone will be getting their news off the computer or their cell phones. But what happens if the internet ever shuts down, or the satellites in space malfunction and everyone’s cell phone signals click off? In this generation, everyone relies on technology so much it is ridiculous. What we need to realize is, believe it or not, one day technology can malfunction and I’m pretty sure this will cause chaos and mayhem. So now we must ask ourselves, are we really willing to risk relying on nothing but technology and not having any newspapers just because it is an inconvenience to our ever so busy lives?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Well, I care about the news more than the average fourteen year old boy. Most fourteen year old boys wake up and watch sportscenter in the morning. Instead of something like that, I watch 5 o'clock news on nbc. Sure it might not be as entertaining as yesterday's sports, but i have always been interested in the main topics of our world today. It bothers me though, when a topic on fashion comes up on the news. When I see that I always have to think how many people would rather see that then today's economy. The news today has change from the news even fom just a couple of years ago. The news used to talk about major disasters, and interesting stories. Nows the news has been "updated" and been brought into the 21st century. So as you can think, I care about the news but i do not have the respect for it like i used to.
    Now about the printed news. the printed news is an outdated system. There is no need to have the news written down everyday. Also, I know I am more interested in the news when I am not reading it. I feel like there is more interaction while watching the news. Soon i believe the printed news will become a lost art. Even the news on television will lose its flair. Soon the news world will just become ipod casts and cell phone updates. Well, as you can see I like watching the news, but unfortunately, i believe it won't be around much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  45. By the way, my first comment was pure sarcasm...

    But it is nice to know there are other people who enjoy the site of Matt O'Donnell and David Murphy as much as I do: )

    ReplyDelete
  46. The most important thing in the world around us is, well, the world around us. Various news and media outlets provide us with the information we need to remain informed. I have a certain fondness for news,and believe in its great importance, yet, as stated in some previous responses, i believe that most American news outlets are biased. Sadly, most of my news comes from internet resources. This can be a flaw because much of the news published on the internet is biased or downright wrong. Print news is slowly reaching its downfall. Since the day news began being broadcasted through the airwaves, newspapers have been on a steady decline. Eventually, print news will be nothing more than antiques. In conclusion, although news is an important part of society, there will always be bias.

    ReplyDelete
  47. i apologize for my short response, i had a long, well thought out response that I was working on until i accidentally exited out of the page. Looks like i learned an important lesson about blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  48. that sucks, matt. a lesson all bloggers have to learn the hard way, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  49. I love this idea Mrs. Rock. I think all teachers should adapt this. I can type a lot more about what im thinking rather than in class. (if that makes sense). I also have time to answer and response, where as in class, we are put on the spot if you asked us this question.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Yeah, i'm quite frustrated in myself. I'm not going to let that happen again. I just hope others learn from my mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  51. News on paper is becoming very out of date. People are getting all their news from television. The paper news is going to be out of date extremely soon because of little paper news being bought. I know personally, I don't get the paper, I just watch the news on T.V in the morning. It is unfortunate that paper news is becoming out of date, but it just simply expresses the day and age we live in now. Honestly, I don't really pay attention to the news as often as I should. I tend to only listen to the sports and the occasional "big story of the day". I guess I'm one of those people that is making paper news die out. The death of news on paper may be in the next decade. It may be in the next century. No one can really know. However, I don't believe it's going to hurt the society at all. I think people won't care and just keep going on with there everyday lives. Some people may not even know when it happens. I know I probably wouldn't. And I am almost a symbol of how the society thinks now. People don't want to read, they would rather watch and listen. This is a scary truth that I am beginning to realize.

    ReplyDelete
  52. BTW: that really sucks matt. you taught me a valuable lesson
    I also agree with nick this is mad chill
    Sorry this is so late

    ReplyDelete
  53. News is definately important. I care about it more than most people my age probably do, as long as it catches my interest. I usually don't get News from the paper though...the only thing i really use the paper for is to look up movie showings. That probably sounds pretty bad, but mostly its because i'm too busy (and i admit, sometimes too lazy) to get News from the paper when i can get the same information faster from TV or the internet, or sometimes even word of mouth. I mean, as soon as i log into my email, the top 4 stories of the day are displayed with a little information about each, and then i can choose to read more if i want. If we are here to see the Newspaper die, i'd probably blame it on the internet. If you think about it, Newspapers can (and some do) post their entire paper on the internet, for the simple fact that its more convienient. Its also cheaper that way. Nowadays when practically everyone in America has a computer, it almost seems smarter to transition from printing and delivering papers to simply posting them online.

    ReplyDelete
  54. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  55. i believe news is very important in our everyday lives. cause hey lets face it, not everything revolves around us. but i also believe sometimes some things are given almost as too much information. it's like every little detail of every event or person is exposed sometimes a little too much. but i still think it's good to know about things outside of our own personal lives. it gives a new outlook on how to think on other people and life in general. i usually get my news from when i wake up in the morning i usually can hear the news on the tv in the other room. also i get news from aol.com when i get home from school and i look around at everything that interests me, or seems pretty unique, which is a lot of things. i'm easily amused(: additionally, me and my mom or dad talk about the news when i get driven to school each morning or sometimes in the car to a dance practice/performance. we sometimes just talk about what we heard that day. finally, once in a while my parents or grandparents will cut out an article they found on the internet or the newspaper that is especially interesting or relates to my life in any way, shape, or form. am i the best at keeping up with the news? no. but i do try. who honestly sits in front of the tv for hours to watch the news or read the entire newspaper? i believe printed news is going out of style now just for the fact that it's so much easier to listen to the television while doing other things, or even sitting at a computer screen and typing into google what you want to know about instead of searching the newspaper by hand. it's about easy access and technology. am i saying that printed news going out of style is a good thing? absolutely not! newspapers are alwaysalwaysalways reliable. and you know they can't crash like your computer or not connect like your internet. so humans are lazy and what we think is easy works, and what doesn't work goes away. i.e printed news. (:

    ReplyDelete
  56. Way to use punctuation and grammar Dom ;p

    ReplyDelete
  57. whatever. i had good ideas.(:

    ReplyDelete
  58. The news is not something I encounter a lot during my normal morning routine. If i am going to learn about the news, I will always see it from television. I only read the paper for sports. lol. Usually though, I never learn about the news except for the occasional sit down in the morning. There is never enough time for me in the morning with everything else going on to see the news. Actually, the reason I find out about everything is from intermediate sources. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  59. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  60. I got a question Mrs. Rock. Do you expect us to read all these posts and make opinionated responses on this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  61. Keith--you're free to respond to others, and of course it would make me happy, but it's not required. I hope you're eventually comfortable enough here to speak freely and debate without my prompting--THAT would be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  62. The death of printed news has already begun. Almost everyone keeps in touch with news. However, unless you live under a rock (people over 55 years old), you have already somewhat or completely transferred where you get the news to the internet. The news is very important to people, including me. Paper news just doesn’t work any more, plain and simple. To get paper news, you first have to pay for it. Doesn’t the NY Times cost a good amount? Then it has to be delivered. So with whatever events happen, you won’t know till the next morning. Internet news just makes sense. Why wait to hear news the next day and pay for it, when I literally have a button on my mouse that will that will show me up to date news instantly?
    So like I said, news is important to me, just like everyone else in this blog has said. Where do I get my info at? BBC, duh! Check it out (http://news.bbc.co.uk/). Now you might ask why? Well thats simple, there are two big reasons. One, I feel that E! can give me more “actual news” than CNN, NBC, and CBS all together. For example, how CNN covered Michael Jackson’s death for about 6 months, BBC was informing me about all sorts of other stuff. Finally, BBC doesn't have bias(from what i see). CNN, NBC, and CBS favor America so, so, so much in politics. I just feel that BBC just gives me simple, easy, well written news, something newspaper’s can’t.
    So i’m sorry to inform you about this, but NY Times(newspaper) is already in the toilet. Paper news like that simply does not fit in todays world.

    ReplyDelete
  63. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  64. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  65. The new is a great thing that we should be grateful for. It tells us everything we would like to know about what is going on in the outside world. Personally, the news is like a best friend to me, and i get my source of news mainly from the internet, but every once in a while ill scim through the newspaper for something interesting. Sadly, due to the new and improved technology, the paper articles are beggining to vanish. It seems that newspapers are getting old, and with the more technology that comes out each year the less people pay attention to the paer because it is more convinient and easier to obtain the news. Which is why we will soon see the death of all paper articles.

    ReplyDelete
  66. to be honest i dont formally read the news paper on a daily basis. Usually i only read it when I have an assignment that has to do with reading the news paper. However the news always finds a way to reach me throughout the day. As somepeople know I have been without a normal sized television for a long time so the only way i can actually get news if i go and look it up weather it be in a news paper or on the internet. The only other way is to hear it from my peers and people who tell me things that have happened.
    As far as the death of news papers, I do agree that they are coming to their end very quickly. At the rate todays technology is advancing it would not surprise me at all if there were no newspapers in the near future. It would make total sense for the news to become completely "electronic" i mean come oon it saves paper and space. On the other hand there is something to be said for reading the news paper. If you have the time to read the paper than by all means do so but for the majority of people life is just too busy i think.

    ReplyDelete
  67. lol george it was definatly homework

    ReplyDelete
  68. I personally do care about the news, it isn't my top priority, but i do care. The topics and titles i am able to see when i turn on my T.V. or press the power button on my computer while the news pops up on the main AOL page are most of the time very interesting. Now, this doesnt mean i run home to watch ABC to learn about our government or how bad/good the economy is doing. In the rare cases i do sit down just to watch the news and if i do that it is about my team... PHILLIES or the top stories that catch my eye first. I hate to admit it but the last time i read the paper was when i glanced down on that sheet that was being used as a table cloth in carving a pumpkin. To inform me of the news, i would be the one to go on my computer or watch it on T.V.. To be honest with all our technology i personally dont have a need for a news paper to inform me on occurrences of all sort. In the end paper that is used for that job will most likely fade away. Not to mention that Americans who are too busy *cough cough* LAZY to read a simple article. With the increase of "Busy-ness" in the society printed news will be like a bad hair cut... forgotten and never to be brought up again.

    ReplyDelete
  69. No offense Mrs. Rock, but I love how you ask a question, then tell us the response you expect/would rather hear. As an honor student, yes, I do find myself obligated to keep up with current events. As a fourteen year old girl, sometimes I want to just overlook all the negativity building up and weighing the earth down. What is the point of turning on your television to greet the sorrowful image of people dying overseas, or a family asking for help finding their lost dog, or what our president and other leaders are currently doing wrong? I don't believe apathy would be the correct word to describe my approach to the news because I do genuinely care about what is going on in the world around us. However, I do look upon a majority of it with distaste, as all that seems to be gained is the bleak understanding that our world is crumbling. The news that I receive, like the majority of my other classmates, is from the homepage of my email (while my other homepage gives me all the recent apple updates (:). My father has stopped receiving the press in the mail, and I don't blame him. I refuse to look down upon anyone who would rather look up as many news articles online as they want, instead of paying fifty cents a day for a limited amount. Although I still find the idea of print news appealing, and slightly romantic in a way, it simply isn't as practical. Also, what is more "current" than having information at your fingertips the moment it is available? Print news just isn't as efficient when you get down to it. In the end, everything begins to die the moment it is born. The same is true for print news. As humans, we are always on the search for new ways to accomplish tasks, and whatever is new is approached as "better". However, there are many arguments as to why technology has the upper hand in delivering news, so in addition to it being the most recent method it is also justified in why it is preferred among most people. This is why our generation will witness the death of print news. As you can see from my peers' input, people care about the news, and people care about the coolest, most effective way to get it. When you add these together, unfortunately, the answer is not rolled up and tossed on your front porch every morning by a kid in a cool hat.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I definetely keep up with the news because i do think its important to know what goes on in the world around us. It can spark up conversations with just about anybody. I dont get my news from newspapers cause its not delivered to me and um...i have a computer and tv? Everyday i go to check my mail on yahoo and i have the latest headlines right there. Its so much more convenient and they post the same news on there as whats mentioned in newspapers. We have to find articles for health every friday and u never see me having a ripped out article from the atlantic city press. Its always printed out from the internet. The news from the internet is whats interesting and its still relevant information for our brains. For some of us, as long as we're updated who cares about what the new york times has to say? I believe that most people dont read newspapers anymore because some of us just dont have the time to sit down and flip through every single page. Americans lead busy lives with work, family, etc. So newspapers will soon be a thing of the past because with technology, we are updated instantly every single second of the day. No waiting till the next morning.

    ReplyDelete
  71. The news paper is not something I read on a daily basis. Usually if I am getting news, news papers are not the main source I receive it from. I am usually informed by others, or by maybe signing in my email and the front page of the site has something really out of the ordinary like "Somali pirates hold British couple on cargo ship" then I would be very tempted to read it, and since I can never resist I take a little peak. Or maybe I am flicking through the channels and come across something eye-boggling on CNN and then I sit and stare for a couple of minutes but then lose interest and change the channel. The reason i dont read news papers are not because i dont enjoy them,or i dont think they are important its because i am so lazy and cant pick up a paper to read. But even though I don’t read the news papers I still think they are very important and play a big role in our society. Without them people are going to stop receiving information about the world around them. And even though yahoo puts the news in a more interesting way, it still can’t beat the resourceful New York Times. But not many people think that so they don’t even care for news papers and that’s where the news papers lose their money. So if we witness the tragic death of the amazing compinies like the New York Times we never give credit for is it will be completely our fault.

    ReplyDelete
  72. News is important to me in some ways, but most news I read or hear is junk anyway. By junk I mean news I personally could care less about. I do read news almost everyday, but it's not usually intentional. A news topic will interest me if it has some kind of relation to an interest I have, but such a topic is rare for me to find. I mainly get my news from the news television channels, but sometimes online. With a computer as slow as mine, I try to avoid using it, but this post is important so as you may have figured out, I decided not to avoid posting a comment to this blog. And Lastly, we are all going to witness the death of printed news because of new technologies. These technologies are making certain news genres easier to access, and people want these devices rather than recieve a daily paper. Most of "these people" are the people of the newest generation. That's all I have to say and I think you've heard enough from me.

    ReplyDelete
  73. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  74. Well, I of course "care" about the news. Care about it enough to read the paper everyday and watch the news every night? No. News is important, but nowadays I've been getting news from over hearing my parents talking or over the internet or even people talking about it on facebook.

    Like other kids have said, interesting news interests people. I enjoy watching sports news, or even stupid stuff like celebrity gossip. I sometimes catch the 11 o'clock news at night with my daddio but the news is filled with stories about the war, our economy, and local violence. Like we read in the Stephen King article, our news really is depressing, we do need a Deparment of Fun in the US haha ;)

    I honestly don't think that any of us will be alive to see the death of printed news. It's been around since the beginning of the 1700's, I don't think it's going to be going anywhere soon. Even if the newspaper ceases to exist, I still think that there would be magazines and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete
  75. News has become an important part of our society, simply, I believe, because humans are notorious for be nosy. We want to know about other people's problems, get our daily dose of checking in on this week's newest thing, and of coarse finding out what's happening in counties that most of us have never and most likely will never go to. But I will say that news is important as a whole. It keeps things flowing. In this day and age, it's always good to be up to date with all the new things that are going on in the world. If not, we might miss something important. For me, news isn't something I find time to go look for. If something happens, and it's big enough to possibly be life altering, chances are I'm going to hear about it from someone. Once in a while if there’s nothing else to do, I might turn on ABC for a few minutes, but I just don't find watching it everyday to be necessary. I also occasionally catch earfuls of it on the radio or when I glance at MSN's homepage as I go on the Internet, but that's about it. Maybe it's because I don't want to know EVERYTHING going on out there or maybe I'm just lazy, but I just don't find myself going out of the way to find news.

    ReplyDelete
  76. Oh, and the reason we are all going to be witnessing the death of print news is frankly because this generation (and a few before the current one) is incredibly lazy. Why on EARTH would a person think to pick up a newspaper and read it, when they could easily make a few clicks on a shiny screen and get actual PICTURES of the big news of today?? Because, says the average civilian, it takes a lot less brainpower.

    ReplyDelete
  77. As for the death of print news, I think that it's definitely on the way out. In the near future, with a decrease in subscription levels because of the internet, it will become impossible for newspapers to overcome the high cost of shipping and paper to make a profit. Also, as subscriptions decrease, newspapers will have trouble getting advertisements, their actual main money source, effectively dooming them. Journalism, however will not die, I predict that newspapers will change to an online subscription format exclusively in the near future, allowing them to continue existing and save jobs. Either way, the BBC still rocks more than any American news source, paper, internet, or television; so I remain unaffected.

    ReplyDelete
  78. Yankees <3. Do I get points for that?

    ReplyDelete
  79. Of course, news spreads and it's a good thing it does! Current world news is important to me, but I simply don't find myself always with my nose inside a news paper or magazine. Watching television, occasionally glancing at a news paper on my counter, and listening to other people are the ways that news travels to me. I think I am just too busy to go search and find a news paper myself and actually have a desire to learn new world information. I really don't have time, and it is a shame because some of the things I could read would probably be so interesting. In our day we have so many other sources that relay important messages and facts other than the newspaper. It eventually will be gone because of these easier methods of messaging. Now, I can receive the news at the touch of a single button, pictures and all. Sadly those every-day-newspaper-readers are going to be very disappointed, but the future has yet to come. When it does I might have the time to check the news, and I might actually find some of it fascinating.

    (This is Chelsi's--she just posted it in the wrong spot...)

    ReplyDelete
  80. Three cheers for the BBC!

    And no, Mike, no points...but freedom of speech is certainly respected here.

    ReplyDelete
  81. Ciara--

    Sorry: ) Sometimes it's hard for me to stop inserting my opinion; I'm a bit pig-headed. However, you should never feel the need to agree with me; I only told you that I HOPED you read the paper, thinking that maybe you'd feel a twinge of guilt inside if you didn't.

    Don't ever feel pressured by me to say something--I don't know everything.

    ReplyDelete
  82. The news is my life. I am an avid watcher of NBC news and a reader of the New York Times. i like to know what's happening in the world around me, and I also like to understand what's going on around me, so I am always following current events.
    I am not a usual reader of printed news, just internet news. That is exacally the reason that we will be around to see the death of printed news. Everyone uses internet news. It is easier, faster, and most of it is free! Even though most printed local news is enjoyable to read on a Sunday afternoon, no one wants to anymore. It is out of style and no worth it anymore. It's just not worth it to read printed news anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  83. I do realize that news is imortant, just not that important to me. With everything going on in the world there are more important things to worry about rather than what is going go in other peoples lives. Soem news is interests me though like the weather, and political informtion. But other facts just dont matter. It is important, but not relevant in my busyworld, so I do not apprecitate its help.

    -Sarita

    ReplyDelete
  84. Of course, news spreads and it's a good thing it does! Current world news is important to me, but I simply don't find myself always with my nose inside a news paper or magazine. Watching television, occasionally glancing at a news paper on my counter, and listening to other people are the ways that news travels to me. I think I am just too busy to go search and find a news paper myself and actually have a desire to learn new world information. I really don't have time, and it is a shame because some of the things I could read would probably be so interesting. In our day we have so many other sources that relay important messages and facts other than the newspaper. It eventually will be gone because of these easier methods of messaging. Now, I can receive the news at the touch of a single button, pictures and all. Sadly those every-day-newspaper-readers are going to be very disappointed, but the future has yet to come. When it does I might have the time to check the news, and I might actually find some of it fascinating.

    -Chelsi

    ReplyDelete
  85. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  86. I'm feel as though I have to defend the internet. There are so many accurate sources of news online that it just doesn't make sense to me why people are saddened by the fact that newspapers are becoming outdated. Doesn't anyone realize how much paper it actually takes to make a single newspaper? Now imagine the expensive, inefficient production of one newspaper everyday to quench the literary thirst of millions of people worldwide. It doesn't take a treehugger to see that in this world of fast-paced news, it's death of print vs. death of environment. Personally, I'm routing for death of print.

    ReplyDelete
  87. I'm really frustrated right now because I had A LOT more written but I accidentally deleted it. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  88. Ok, wow everyone (or mostlty everyone) wrote like a five paged essay on this, so I'm going to keep this short and sweet. I do care about the news, but I only watch it in the morning. Besides, you don't need the TV or the paper to hear about everyone's latest scandals. I come into school all the time hearing, "Oh my gosh, did you hear about Britney Spears?! She just married her 12th husband!" Word spreads pretty quickly, so the news matters to me, but as long as I'm hearing the truth (Which doesn't always happen in both TV and newspaper), I dont care where I hear it from.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.